Sunday, May 10, 2009

Recollections

BY ZEP

Arriving at the house for the co-worker jamborie.

There's anticipation (mostly for the alcohol) and awkwardness (Never really carried a conversation with any of the people outside of work, save for one person).

Grabbing fistfuls of vodka gummies.

Meeting/greeting new faces, smiling at the usual ones, and remembering ones that I met for 20 minutes in months past.

Drunkenly trying to sing in Guitar Hero, failing due to someone's imitation of Bubbles.

Keep drinking from the "cannon", tried a cigar at request.

Grabbing more vodka gummies.

Weirded out by a latecomer.

Watching people's eyes. Even when drunk I'm trying to read them, see what their intoxicated lips aren't saying.

Things die down. People break off, either bored or tired. A few of us remain, talking, laughing awkwardly as we draw on a sleeper's forehead.

Retiring upstairs, I play guitar in my friend's dimly lit room as we talk about each other's lives until quarter after four.

I want to continue talking, but the looming prospect of work and mother's day forces me to hit the sack.

1 comment: