Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Mentality of Sports

BY ZEP

I've never quite understood the mentality of professional sports.

I mean, it's not like I dislike them. I played a bunch of sports as a kid.

There was baseball (I couldn't hit the ball off of the tee....cried every time I missed, which was often)

There was soccer (I could barely kick the ball, and got cramps every time I ran too fast...so I played defence...the wimp position)

There were also a multitude of other sports during high school, most of which involved getting my ass kicked, but back to the topic at hand.

It's professional sports that kinda boggle my mind. I mean, why bother working my way through school and get a great well-paying job when I could just make millions playing a game? (Of course, by "I", I don't mean myself, cause I suck).

I'm watching the Orlando/Cleveland NBA playoff game right now, watching the coaches screech at the top of their lungs, watching the players behave like this is the last moment of their lives, watching the fans who scream bloody murder with every slam dunk. It's mesmerizing, but so weird that we put these athletes on such high pedestals.

They play games for a living.

I should be a world-class Tetris player or something.

We'll see how much money that can get me.

3 comments: