Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sick Muse

BY ZEP

I'll assure you, the title of this post isn't just cause I've been over-obsessing with Metric.

I am sick, and I am musing....so it's a double-entendre, so to speak.

The other day, I finally watched Religulous, Bill Maher's documentary on the absurdities of religions along with the absurd people who follow them.

WARNING TO ALL BELIEVERS: TURN AWAY NOW!

I got out of the whole religion thing a few years back, after deciding that the ends didn't justify the means. Nothing justified anything, to be honest. But for some reason, everyone feels they have to justify their existence, and what better way to do that than by making something up?

Maher put it perfectly when he discussed scientology in one of his stand-up performances. The second he uttered the word, everyone laughed. Yeah, that Scientology, it's crazy right? All that stuff about thetans and extraterrestrial reincarnation...absolute craziness. But when a "god" that overlooks everything sends his son (which is actually really himself) to earth on a mission to die to forgive every person who lived and will live....nah....that's perfectly sane!

I just don't buy the whole "be a good little boy and god will let you through the pearly whites" shtick. There's nothing to justify this "god's" existence, nothing to prove some gigantic deity exists and is watching all of us every second.

Although, one of my fondest memories comes from church.

It was Christmass mass during my last year of high school, and a friend and I were in a class of nine. Since we were unable to skip mass without being noticed, we attended mass with a pair of Santa hats. Once mass was ended, we put the hats on our hands, stuck them up in the air, and yelled "GRYFFINDOR!"

Good times.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA,
    Religulous is a terrific movie. Good points, common rhetoric A+
    GRYFFFFINDOR!
    good times indeed

    ReplyDelete